"For success in science and art a dash of autism is essential" Hans Asperger
One of the latest webinars from Autism Hangout's “Thriving with Autism” series is: StephenShore and Donna Williams: Autism as strengths. What an excellent title and what an excellent concept! Here is what Craig Evans, moderator of Autism Hangout had to say about his webinar guests:
"Everyday, more and more people on the spectrum demonstrate gifting through their contributions to society. Two of these "poster people" are Dr. Stephen Shore and Donna Williams. Each has formidable gifts... and great stories for how parents, caregivers and professionals can reach and develop others like them.
In this "Thriving with Autism" Webinar, Stephen and Donna talk about their individual strengths and how autism helped them become who they are today."
Donna Williams is an extremely talented author, actor, dancer, artist and autism advocate who has succeeded and excelled far beyond the expectations of the professionals from her early life. More about Donna can be found at her website, www.donnawilliams.net.
Dr. Stephen Shore, ABD, MusM. has, as a short sampling, the following accomplishments:
- Author of Beyond the Wall: Personal Experiences with Autism and Asperger Syndrome
- Editor and Contributor to "Ask and Tell: Self-Advocacy and Disclosure for People on the Autism Spectrum"
- Board President of the Asperger's Association of
- Member, Board of Directors, Autism Society of
- National-International consultant, presenter, and researcher on autism spectrum issues throughout the lifespan
For the remainder of this piece I focus on some of the statements of Dr. Stephen Shore.
Dr. Shore’s dissertation was comparative analysis of the five widely utilized methods:
- Miller method
- DIR floor time
- Daily Life Therapy®
These are all wonderful methods having attributes that make them useful for individuals at different times, used either in succession or concurrently.
On the Autism Society website, Stephen says the following:
"As a toddler, I was nonverbal, viewed as "too sick" to be treated on an outpatient basis and recommended for institutionalization. However, my parents, who had no background in autism or child development, saw that I could lead a fulfilling and productive life. They believed in me and helped me get to where I am today - a recent Ed.D. recipient who completed a doctoral dissertation on matching best practice to the needs of people on the autism spectrum.
Although I have had success in marriage, employment and other areas of my life, there are two important things to keep in mind. The first is that a lot of hard work was needed to achieve these goals. Second, I am still on the autism spectrum and face challenges everyday. My sense is that one of the important keys to success is learning how to work with and navigate around the many challenges autism brings.”
It is my mission to combine my personal, practical and academic experiences regarding autism as I work with children, present and consult internationally on issues pertaining to education, relationships, employment, advocacy and disclosure.
One of the most important things to remember is that the potential of people with autism - just like all others - is unlimited. With current educational/developmental/behavioral approaches, sensory integration and biomedical interventions, and research, we can make a high degree of success for people with autism the rule rather than the exception."
What an important message of hope this is! This most recent Autism Hangout webinar filled me with a plethora of questions for Dr. Shore in the areas of:
- music therapy,
- psychoenergetic connectedness
- best application strategy of his five studied methods
which he has kindly consented to explore with me in an upcoming interview.
In the interim, please visit the following websites for more on Dr. Stephen Shore:
Very informative and VERY FUNNY video presentation on Childnett.tv
LOTS of information in many areas relating to asperger’s and autism
|< Prev||Next >|
- Don't miss the next secular bull market
- Railroads to new oil boom
- Another way to invest in emerging markets
- An Unexpected Beneficiary of a Recovering Housing Market
- Global Currency War: Unique Opportunities in The Pacific Theater
- Israel develops the next generation operating room
- Turmoil in Venezuela Could Spell Opportunity for You
- The way to be healthy, happy, and full of energy that works
- Turning points coming soon, market action set to heat up, lots of trading opportunities ahead
- Male Logic ...