Current Headlines - World
U.S. puts Russia on notice in first report on WTO compliance
19 Jun 2013 | 12:32 pm
By Doug Palmer WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States, in the first report on Russia's compliance with its World Trade Organization commitments, said on Wednesday it was closely watching Moscow for any violations that thwart U.S. exports to the world's sixth-largest economy. But in the report required by Congress, the U.S. Trade Representative's Office did not announce any definite plans for litigation at the Geneva-based world trade body. It also noted an uptick in U.S. exports to Russia that may be partly due to Moscow's nearly 1-year-old WTO membership. ...
Monsoon floods kill 102 in India, strand pilgrims
19 Jun 2013 | 12:24 pm
Top UK court overturns sanctions on Iranian bank
19 Jun 2013 | 12:19 pm
LONDON (AP) — Britain's Supreme Court has quashed sanctions against an Iranian bank penalized over its alleged links to Iran's nuclear weapons program.
Obama renews calls for nuclear reductions
19 Jun 2013 | 12:19 pm
BERLIN (AP) — Appealing for a new citizen activism in the free world, President Barack Obama renewed his call Wednesday to reduce U.S. and Russian nuclear stockpiles and to confront climate change, a danger he called "the global threat of our time."
Immigration reform will cut deficit, but will that sway skeptics?
19 Jun 2013 | 12:19 pm
Immigration reform may not just be about policy or political sense, it may be about cutting deficits, too – a finding that could boost momentum for reform at a critical point in the immigration debate on Capitol Hill.
Italy court setback won't affect support for government: Berlusconi
19 Jun 2013 | 12:16 pm
ROME (Reuters) - Silvio Berlusconi said a ruling by Italy's constitutional court on Wednesday that rejected his bid to block a tax-fraud conviction would have no effect on his support for Prime Minister Enrico Letta's government. Four-times Prime Minister Berlusconi's People of Freedom party is one of Letta's main backers in a broad, right-left coalition. ...
Gyula Horn, former Hungarian prime minister, dies
19 Jun 2013 | 12:12 pm
BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) — Gyula Horn, a former Hungarian prime minister who played a key role in opening the Iron Curtain, has died at the age of 80.
Iran's electoral watchdog approves election result
19 Jun 2013 | 12:07 pm
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran's state TV is reporting the country's election overseer, the Guardian Council, has approved Friday's presidential election result, affirming a first-round victory by a relative moderate.
Palace sheds some light on Kate's baby plans
19 Jun 2013 | 12:05 pm
LONDON (AP) — With Prince William and the former Kate Middleton expecting their first child in mid-July — and much of the world interested in the birth of a future monarch — the royals' office has released some of the couple's plans, although many details are still being kept private. Kate has made several public appearances recently but is expected to keep a low profile in the final weeks of her pregnancy. Here is the latest news about the infant who will, upon entering the world, be third in line for the British throne.
Italy court rejects bid to block Berlusconi tax fraud verdict
19 Jun 2013 | 11:57 am
ROME (Reuters) - Italy's constitutional court on Wednesday rejected a bid by Silvio Berlusconi to block a tax fraud conviction from October, clearing the way for a final verdict this year and deepening the uncertainty facing Prime Minister Enrico Letta. Berlusconi's lawyers had challenged a ruling in Milan last year that sentenced the 76-year-old media tycoon and leader of the center-right to four years in prison with a five year ban on holding public office after it found him complicit in tax fraud at his Mediaset empire. ...
- This One Group of Bankers Can Help You Predict the Markets
- These Five Sectors May Lead the Next Leg of the Rally
- This One Thing Matters More Than Ever in an Investing World Gone Wild
- Will stocks go up or down from here?
- How Much Longer Will This Bull Market Run?
- Don't miss the next secular bull market
- Railroads to new oil boom
- Another way to invest in emerging markets
- An Unexpected Beneficiary of a Recovering Housing Market
- Global Currency War: Unique Opportunities in The Pacific Theater
- To Arm, Or Not To Arm The Syrian Rebels?
- The Martini: This American Cocktail May Have An International Twist
- Just Washed Your Car? Try Speeding To Dry It
- U.S. To Test The Waters With Iran's New President Rohani
- Obama To Renew Call To Reduce Nuclear Weapons
- Fashion's Victims: An Artist's Focus On Garment Workers
- Parvum Opus: Followers Flock To Pope's Latin Twitter Feed
- Boehner Seeks To Reassure House GOP On Immigration
- The 'Standing Man' Of Turkey: Act Of Quiet Protest Goes Viral
- Obama's Unplanned NSA Discussion
- FBI 'uses surveillance drones in US'
- Karzai to boycott Taliban talks
- Naked mole-rat gives cancer clues
- VIDEO: BBC World News business headlines
- VIDEO: One-minute World News
- Royal baby's gender to be 'surprise'
- Dolce and Gabbana sentenced to jail
- Dominant England reach Trophy final
- Drug firms fined for blocking rivals
- US force-feeding 'hurts detainees'