Ok, so in Buddhism as well as yoga, there is a concept called “the 3 poisons”. The 3 poisons are; Attachment, Aversion and Ignorance. These poisons influence every part of human politics in every way. There is never an action or path we take that isn’t influenced in some way by these poisons.
When we fall in love, there’s attachment, when we hate someone, there’s aversion and if we don’t even notice a person exists, well there’s ignorance. This doesn’t however mean that we can’t love that special person with all of our hearts though. The poison comes into action when we become scared that we’ll lose that person in some way. Maybe we don’t want them to go out partying because they might meet someone better than us and leave. Then we get that horrible sinking, dark, heavy feeling inside and that’s the poison of attachment. Hard to do, but we can find peace in non-attachment by realising that if we truly love that person, then we can be happy for them knowing they’re are leaving us because they’ve met someone who makes them happy.
Aversion can be understood by looking at feelings like; fear of dentists, or of planes, or of heights etc. That panicky feeling we get deep down inside when we are afraid is the same as the horrible, dark, sinking feeling I mentioned above. Going to the Dentist for some people is just pure hell! They concentrate completely on how much it’s going to hurt and how much they don’t want to experience the pain and can end up becoming hysterical if the feeling goes far enough. But it’s completely irrational. We go to the Dentist to maintain healthy teeth. The transitory pain we feel can actually be put to one side if we bring ourselves into the present and realise we are benefiting from it.
Ignorance is a strange concept though. It’s like we try to wrap ourselves in cotton wool because we don’t want to experience anything good or bad. Some people do it with drink and drugs. Others do it with television or computer games. Being in denial of our surroundings creates dillusion and dillusion creates suffering. As Buddha said “All life is suffering and the cause of this suffering is the 3 poisons.” How do we stop this suffering? We have to learn to become aware of our actions, our thoughts, and our emotions. We become that which we concentrate on the most.
Living with a constant feeling of negativity will make us negative people, pessimistic and always looking on the downside. Learning to find the good in the bad and the bad in the good is what will eventually set us free, because it balances our positive and negative sides. When there’s someone you really like… I mean, you think they’re amazing and you’re driving youself mad wondering if they like you as much as you like them...there’s no balance in your feelings. This is attachment at work, because you can’t get them out of your head. The pining and the longing you feel is the poison of attachment coursing through your veins, making you think and feel irrationally. The only thing you can do is bring attention to the feelings and realise them for what they are because at the moment, you’re not balanced. You’re looking into the future wondering what will be, which means you’re missing the fun of here and now. You’re getting to hang out with someone who’s fun to be around and you enjoy their company. Having faith that everything happens for a reason and knowing we’re in exactly the place we’re supposed to be in whether we feel that to be good or bad, is what will set us free in the end.
The buddha said that to find relief from the 3 poisons, we have to take refuge in the 3 jewels; Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.
- Buddha: meaning not only the constant universal power, but also the ability in everyone to become enlightened.
- Dharma: is the natural law of things, it cannot be controlled it just is what it is and we can only observe its movements.
- Sangha: is basically the same as church in christianity. A gathering of people with a common goal, who support each other’s efforts.
Meet the mother who does YOGA on her stand-up paddle board while her son looks on
5:29 (GMT) - 24.11.2014
A Victoria mother has taken the sport of yoga to a whole new extreme by practising her yoga poses out on the open water on a stand-up paddle board, with her three kids in tow.
India's health practitioners question need for new AYUSH ministry
2:54 (GMT) - 24.11.2014
The Modi government has created a ministry to promote Yoga and Ayurvedic therapies across the globe. But the move has prompted the question - does India really need a separate Yoga Ministry or should it concentrate its efforts on strengthening its own domestic healthcare system?
River Lotus Yoga to celebrate second anniversary
23:13 (GMT) - 23.11.2014
Yoga is like a "pause button for the mind," said Justin Englerth, co-owner of River Lotus Yoga. He notices physical benefits from yoga, as well, he said.
Despite competition, a Perfect Knot yoga studio to stay open
22:40 (GMT) - 23.11.2014
Existing studios here cite price pressures from Groupon users.
Fueling up for Buti yoga
21:07 (GMT) - 23.11.2014
Erin DeVantier for What are you eating. HereþÄôs what she says of the photos: Tom Winarski is the photographer Jennifer Winarski, right, is pictured with Erin and is an awesome and dedicated Buti student!
Improving diabetic’s quality of life
18:00 (GMT) - 23.11.2014
An increasing number of people with diabetes mellitus are turning to yoga in an effort to keep their condition under control and improve their quality of life. It is well known that regular practice of yoga can help reduce levels of stress, enhance mobility and lower blood pressure. These benefits improve diabetes management and protect against other medical conditions such as heart disease.
Yoga mat stretches international interest
17:39 (GMT) - 22.11.2014
LADY Gaga has two and RJ Mitte of Breaking Bad has one.
Yoga Pro 3 review: Broadwell is a mixed blessing
10:12 (GMT) - 22.11.2014
The design is ever more exotic, but the performance is worse.
- Meet Jaysea DeVoe, One of the Youngest Yoga Teachers in the United States 23:00 (GMT) - 19.11.2014
7 Ways Yoga Can Help You Age With Grace
8:54 (GMT) - 11.11.2014
There is no avoiding aging -- it's one thing that's certain. Yet, out of fear of the inevitable, we often neglect to take logical steps to prepare for the future.
How Yoga Helps to Keep Your Brain Healthy
6:29 (GMT) - 9.11.2014
Those sun salutations are good for more than a strong core and flexibility. They may give you a sunny disposition, too
The Progeny of Burning Man
23:00 (GMT) - 24.09.2014
Transformational festivals emerge as a petri dish for art and culture in America.
- B. K. S. Iyengar, Who Helped Bring Yoga to the West, Dies at 95 23:00 (GMT) - 20.08.2014
What Is So Special About Iyengar Yoga?
17:12 (GMT) - 20.08.2014
This week the international yoga community said goodbye to B.K.S. Iyengar, a favorite teacher credited with bringing yoga to the Western world. One of his students, Carrie Owerko, a New York yoga teacher, talked about what makes Iyengar yoga so...
- I Tried to Work Out Like a Pro Wrestler and Failed 11:15 (GMT) - 19.08.2014
- The Rise of Beefcake Yoga 23:00 (GMT) - 16.08.2014
- Ask Well: Does Yoga Build Strength? 23:01 (GMT) - 7.08.2014
- Unplugging in the Unofficial Capital of Yoga 23:00 (GMT) - 21.06.2014
A Reporter Unplugs and Still Finds Connection
15:50 (GMT) - 19.06.2014
Mary Pilon, a sports reporter for The Times, spent three weeks in Russia covering the Olympics in Sochi earlier this year. After the games, she spent a vacation in Rishikesh, India, and wrote about it for the Travel section.
- Bending the Rules to Offer Yoga With a Beer Chaser 23:00 (GMT) - 11.06.2014
- How to Tell When Stocks Will Outperform Bonds Again
- Auction-Style Online Property Listings: Bid-Buy-Sell-Lease
- Two Scenarios Right Now for Gold and Silver
- 5 Investing Myths to Ignore in 2014
- Why I Like this Sector for 2014
- No End in Sight to the Bull Market in Stocks
- The Biggest Stock Gains in 2014
- More Help From the Fed
- Stock Market Rally Watch
- A Danger Sign That Stock Investors Will Ignore
- US Stocks Near a Record High and Want to Rise Even Further
- The Three Reasons Oil Will Soar Again - After It Bottoms
- Is the Stock Market Rally About to End?
- Gold and commodities going down or up near term and in future?
- College Graduation Celebration Goes Bad!
- 'Here and Now' ~with Yogi Tobye: Embracing the present moment
- Ego a go.
- Watch where you're going!
- How Do I Circumvent Trouble?
- It's all inside and always has been!
- The Spoon Game
- Who is 'Avatar'
- Yoga and weight loss.
- A Special Interview with Jeffrey Smith By Dr. Mercola
- A Valentines day message.
- A hard day's yoga
- Autism Round Table: Video Self Modeling
- Cyber Presentation on Autism and Sexuality
- Do You Sometimes Wonder If You Are Networking Material?
- Forward March!