Ok, so in Buddhism as well as yoga, there is a concept called “the 3 poisons”. The 3 poisons are; Attachment, Aversion and Ignorance. These poisons influence every part of human politics in every way. There is never an action or path we take that isn’t influenced in some way by these poisons.
When we fall in love, there’s attachment, when we hate someone, there’s aversion and if we don’t even notice a person exists, well there’s ignorance. This doesn’t however mean that we can’t love that special person with all of our hearts though. The poison comes into action when we become scared that we’ll lose that person in some way. Maybe we don’t want them to go out partying because they might meet someone better than us and leave. Then we get that horrible sinking, dark, heavy feeling inside and that’s the poison of attachment. Hard to do, but we can find peace in non-attachment by realising that if we truly love that person, then we can be happy for them knowing they’re are leaving us because they’ve met someone who makes them happy.
Aversion can be understood by looking at feelings like; fear of dentists, or of planes, or of heights etc. That panicky feeling we get deep down inside when we are afraid is the same as the horrible, dark, sinking feeling I mentioned above. Going to the Dentist for some people is just pure hell! They concentrate completely on how much it’s going to hurt and how much they don’t want to experience the pain and can end up becoming hysterical if the feeling goes far enough. But it’s completely irrational. We go to the Dentist to maintain healthy teeth. The transitory pain we feel can actually be put to one side if we bring ourselves into the present and realise we are benefiting from it.
Ignorance is a strange concept though. It’s like we try to wrap ourselves in cotton wool because we don’t want to experience anything good or bad. Some people do it with drink and drugs. Others do it with television or computer games. Being in denial of our surroundings creates dillusion and dillusion creates suffering. As Buddha said “All life is suffering and the cause of this suffering is the 3 poisons.” How do we stop this suffering? We have to learn to become aware of our actions, our thoughts, and our emotions. We become that which we concentrate on the most.
Living with a constant feeling of negativity will make us negative people, pessimistic and always looking on the downside. Learning to find the good in the bad and the bad in the good is what will eventually set us free, because it balances our positive and negative sides. When there’s someone you really like… I mean, you think they’re amazing and you’re driving youself mad wondering if they like you as much as you like them...there’s no balance in your feelings. This is attachment at work, because you can’t get them out of your head. The pining and the longing you feel is the poison of attachment coursing through your veins, making you think and feel irrationally. The only thing you can do is bring attention to the feelings and realise them for what they are because at the moment, you’re not balanced. You’re looking into the future wondering what will be, which means you’re missing the fun of here and now. You’re getting to hang out with someone who’s fun to be around and you enjoy their company. Having faith that everything happens for a reason and knowing we’re in exactly the place we’re supposed to be in whether we feel that to be good or bad, is what will set us free in the end.
The buddha said that to find relief from the 3 poisons, we have to take refuge in the 3 jewels; Buddha, Dharma and Sangha.
- Buddha: meaning not only the constant universal power, but also the ability in everyone to become enlightened.
- Dharma: is the natural law of things, it cannot be controlled it just is what it is and we can only observe its movements.
- Sangha: is basically the same as church in christianity. A gathering of people with a common goal, who support each other’s efforts.
15 Instagram Yogis You Need to Follow
23:39 (GMT) - 22.07.2014
Awe-inspiring yoga Instagram accounts that you should follow ASAP!
Opinion: Baby yoga - fad or fantastic?
3:55 (GMT) - 22.07.2014
Baby yoga instructor Jackie Heffer-Cooke explains why she believes bth baby and mum can get a lot out of a little yoga time.
EASIER SAID THAN DONE: Yoga duo invigorates Bisbee
17:37 (GMT) - 21.07.2014
The practice of yoga has become increasingly popular in the United States. According to one statistic, about 4 million Americans were practicing yoga in 2001. Since then the number grew to more than 20 million by 2011. My first exposure to yoga was when I was 12 and I found a basic book of postures among my father’s large collection of books. I practiced the postures off and on my own and that ...
Michael Franti Talks Yoga at Soulshine Yoga & Music Festival
9:32 (GMT) - 21.07.2014
We sat down with top-40 artist and yogi Michael Franti at the Soulshine Yoga and Music Festival to talk about all things yoga. His favorite pose? Headstands. His favorite Boston studio? O2 yoga.
Pop.Earth & Root Health Launch Colorado Yoga Program for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder & Developmental ...
8:05 (GMT) - 21.07.2014
BOULDER, Colo. -- via PRWEB - Pop.Earth, a New York-based non-profit providing free or low cost holistic services to children and young adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder and other developmental disabilities, ...
Yoga, leopards ... and relax
0:33 (GMT) - 18.07.2014
Want to share your yoga hideaway with a leopard, mongoose, butterflies and birds?
An entry-level Yoga that's flexible but affordable
19:59 (GMT) - 16.07.2014
The Yoga 2 11 gets you Lenovo's excellent hybrid hinge but trades away some power and battery life for a low price.
CorePower Yoga Opens 1st Studio in Virginia (99th Nationwide)
8:00 (GMT) - 11.07.2014
Denver-based yoga company CorePower Yoga will open its 1st studio in Virginia on Friday, July 11. This marks the 99th studio opening nationwide for CorePower Yoga. Located in the heart of Falls Church, ...
Good yoga poses for runners
6:52 (GMT) - 10.07.2014
Yoga is great for runners, but you don't have to take a whole class. These 3 moves can be done as an active warm-up to prevent injuries.
You Asked: Is Hot Yoga Good For You—And For Weight Loss?
7:02 (GMT) - 9.07.2014
Devoted hot yogis swear by the activity’s many benefits. Others roll their eyes and wonder: Is it even safe to work out at 104 degrees? Here's what the experts day
- Unplugging in the Unofficial Capital of Yoga 23:00 (GMT) - 21.06.2014
A Reporter Unplugs and Still Finds Connection
15:50 (GMT) - 19.06.2014
Mary Pilon, a sports reporter for The Times, spent three weeks in Russia covering the Olympics in Sochi earlier this year. After the games, she spent a vacation in Rishikesh, India, and wrote about it for the Travel section.
- Bending the Rules to Offer Yoga With a Beer Chaser 23:00 (GMT) - 11.06.2014
- Hilaria Baldwin Holds Her Center 23:00 (GMT) - 31.05.2014
- New Yoga Programs at Six Senses Resorts 16:00 (GMT) - 15.05.2014
- The ‘No More Tears’ Formula for Yoga Wear 23:00 (GMT) - 5.04.2014
- Yoga Classes, Even With a Fused Spine 23:00 (GMT) - 27.03.2014
Yoga Poses in Israel
23:00 (GMT) - 8.03.2014
Photographs from a studio for Orthodox Jews.
Title for the Seahawks Is a Triumph for the Profile of Yoga
23:00 (GMT) - 4.02.2014
After the Super Bowl, the yoga community did the Internet equivalent of back flips when Seattle won.
- Times Minute | Scenes From the Snowstorm 10:57 (GMT) - 3.01.2014
- How to Tell When Stocks Will Outperform Bonds Again
- Auction-Style Online Property Listings: Bid-Buy-Sell-Lease
- Two Scenarios Right Now for Gold and Silver
- 5 Investing Myths to Ignore in 2014
- Why I Like this Sector for 2014
- No End in Sight to the Bull Market in Stocks
- The Biggest Stock Gains in 2014
- More Help From the Fed
- Stock Market Rally Watch
- A Danger Sign That Stock Investors Will Ignore
- US Stocks Near a Record High and Want to Rise Even Further
- The Three Reasons Oil Will Soar Again - After It Bottoms
- Is the Stock Market Rally About to End?
- Gold and commodities going down or up near term and in future?
- College Graduation Celebration Goes Bad!
- 'Here and Now' ~with Yogi Tobye: Embracing the present moment
- Ego a go.
- Watch where you're going!
- How Do I Circumvent Trouble?
- It's all inside and always has been!
- The Spoon Game
- Who is 'Avatar'
- Yoga and weight loss.
- A Special Interview with Jeffrey Smith By Dr. Mercola
- A Valentines day message.
- A hard day's yoga
- Autism Round Table: Video Self Modeling
- Cyber Presentation on Autism and Sexuality
- Do You Sometimes Wonder If You Are Networking Material?
- Forward March!