The yogic term is Bhramari pranayama, sometimes called the humming bee breath.
Sit in a comfortable position with your spine lovely and straight (DO NOT LIE DOWN). Let your hands just relax into your lap, chin is parallel to the ground, mouth is closed, teeth are slightly open.Take a few normal deep breaths like this.
Now, you can either bring your hands to prayer position at the heart centre or, lifting your arms with your elbows out wide gently use the index finger to press on the little fleshy flaps of skin around the ear, so closing the ear. Take a long breath out and then a long relaxed breath in (DON'T STRAIN THE BREATH). Then on the outbreath, in a controlled manner, make a humming sound like a bumble bee. The humming needs to be soft and controlled, just gently vibrating the brain and forehead. Try to bring your attention to the Ajna Chakra (directly in the middle of the eybrows... the third eye). Exhale all the breath while humming... this is one round.
Repeat for 5 rounds to start, when you're comfortable with it, move to ten rounds and build up eventually to 10/15 minutes.
Contraindications. Don't practice if you have an ear infection and if you have heart disease, never retain the breath.
Benefits. Bumble bee breath relieves stress and tension in the head. It helps alleviate anger and anxiety and is good for insomnia and it can also reduce high blood pressure. It strengthens the voice and throat (great for singers!). It also speeds up the body's healing process if it's used for up to 30 mins at a time (especially after an operation).
Have fun, remember to keep it light, don't strain too much or try to make people in the next room hear you!
visit me at yogitobye.com
|< Prev||Next >|
Oregon nursery offers yoga classes for farmworkers
19:58 (GMT) - 27.07.2014
CORNELIUS, Ore. (AP) - In more than three years, Juan Luis Vasquez has barely missed a yoga class. During peak summer season, the 40-year-old agriculture worker forces himself awake in time for the 5:45 a.m. session. But Vasquez has an advantage: He works at Blooming Nursery in ...
Why yoga could help you thrive at work
15:50 (GMT) - 27.07.2014
Josh Schuster is sitting cross-legged on a yoga mat with his eyes closed and his hands placed gently on his knees. Ever so slowly, the 30-year-old Greenwich Village resident takes...
Ann Arbor yoga studio to hold fundraising class to benefit Dawn Farm
5:10 (GMT) - 27.07.2014
YPSILANTI — Bikram Yoga Ann Arbor West studio will hold a special fundraising class to benefit Dawn Farm at 12 p.m. Sunday, July 27.
Om Street Yoga Brings Peace To LaSalle Street
22:20 (GMT) - 26.07.2014
Follow Your Town News On The Courant's West Hartford Facebook Page WEST HARTFORD — Instead of the usual Saturday morning bustle on LaSalle Street in West Hartford Center, there was peace.
Pool, phones, yoga: world intrudes on Amish now home in Ohio after prison
11:50 (GMT) - 26.07.2014
By Kim Palmer BERGHOLZ Ohio (Reuters) - Amish farmer Raymond Miller developed a taste for Mountain Dew soda, got his GED, and wonders if he should get a pool table after learning to play in prison. His wife, Kathryn, who had never ridden a public bus before boarding one last year to go to prison for forcibly cutting the hair of her relatives, was introduced to yoga and step classes while behind ...
Highland Lake Yoga closes; tradition continues
19:22 (GMT) - 25.07.2014
Friday was the last day of yoga and meditation classes at Highland Lake Yoga, as the studio has closed to benefit both the families of the building's owner and the yogis.
CorePower Yoga Opens in San Jose (100th and 102nd Studios Nationwide)
15:46 (GMT) - 25.07.2014
Denver-based yoga company CorePower Yoga will open its first studio in San Jose on Friday, July 25 and its second San Jose studio on Friday, August 1st. This marks the 100th and 102nd studio openings nationwide ...
How Yoga Informs Parenting: Value in Not Knowing
8:08 (GMT) - 25.07.2014
In yoga, a pose referred to by my teacher as "how wonderful" involves a lifting of the head and chest, and opening of the arms out to the side, with a bend in the elbows.
Naturally Yoga hosts book-signing
23:48 (GMT) - 24.07.2014
Naturally Yoga, located at 175 Rock Road in Glen Rock, recently held a book signing for Kathryn Livingston, the author of “Ying, Yang, Yogini,” a memoir about a women’s quest for balance, strength and inner peace as she struggles with aging, anxiety and breast cancer.
VIDEO: Yoga all at sea
20:20 (GMT) - 24.07.2014
SUP yoga, or stand up paddleboard yoga, involves most of the moves of normal yoga, but is done on a paddleboard in the water.
- Unplugging in the Unofficial Capital of Yoga 23:00 (GMT) - 21.06.2014
A Reporter Unplugs and Still Finds Connection
15:50 (GMT) - 19.06.2014
Mary Pilon, a sports reporter for The Times, spent three weeks in Russia covering the Olympics in Sochi earlier this year. After the games, she spent a vacation in Rishikesh, India, and wrote about it for the Travel section.
- Bending the Rules to Offer Yoga With a Beer Chaser 23:00 (GMT) - 11.06.2014
- Hilaria Baldwin Holds Her Center 23:00 (GMT) - 31.05.2014
- New Yoga Programs at Six Senses Resorts 16:00 (GMT) - 15.05.2014
- The ‘No More Tears’ Formula for Yoga Wear 23:00 (GMT) - 5.04.2014
- Yoga Classes, Even With a Fused Spine 23:00 (GMT) - 27.03.2014
Yoga Poses in Israel
23:00 (GMT) - 8.03.2014
Photographs from a studio for Orthodox Jews.
Title for the Seahawks Is a Triumph for the Profile of Yoga
23:00 (GMT) - 4.02.2014
After the Super Bowl, the yoga community did the Internet equivalent of back flips when Seattle won.
- Times Minute | Scenes From the Snowstorm 10:57 (GMT) - 3.01.2014
- How to Tell When Stocks Will Outperform Bonds Again
- Auction-Style Online Property Listings: Bid-Buy-Sell-Lease
- Two Scenarios Right Now for Gold and Silver
- 5 Investing Myths to Ignore in 2014
- Why I Like this Sector for 2014
- No End in Sight to the Bull Market in Stocks
- The Biggest Stock Gains in 2014
- More Help From the Fed
- Stock Market Rally Watch
- A Danger Sign That Stock Investors Will Ignore
- US Stocks Near a Record High and Want to Rise Even Further
- The Three Reasons Oil Will Soar Again - After It Bottoms
- Is the Stock Market Rally About to End?
- Gold and commodities going down or up near term and in future?
- College Graduation Celebration Goes Bad!
- The importance of knowing your nose.
- Yoga and weight loss.
- Get bendy, stay safe!
- Yoga and the menopause.
- “Here and Now” with Yogi Tobye: Yoga for sensory issues
- Alternate nostril breathing.
- Resistance is futile.
- 'Here and Now' ~with Yogi Tobye: Embracing the present moment
- A hard day's yoga
- Ego a go.
- The middle way.
- Watch where you're going!
- "What?"... "I CAN - hear what you're saying..."
- A Valentines day message.
- Cholesterol - Criticized for Decades - Now a Nutritional Superhero?