The yogic term is Bhramari pranayama, sometimes called the humming bee breath.
Sit in a comfortable position with your spine lovely and straight (DO NOT LIE DOWN). Let your hands just relax into your lap, chin is parallel to the ground, mouth is closed, teeth are slightly open.Take a few normal deep breaths like this.
Now, you can either bring your hands to prayer position at the heart centre or, lifting your arms with your elbows out wide gently use the index finger to press on the little fleshy flaps of skin around the ear, so closing the ear. Take a long breath out and then a long relaxed breath in (DON'T STRAIN THE BREATH). Then on the outbreath, in a controlled manner, make a humming sound like a bumble bee. The humming needs to be soft and controlled, just gently vibrating the brain and forehead. Try to bring your attention to the Ajna Chakra (directly in the middle of the eybrows... the third eye). Exhale all the breath while humming... this is one round.
Repeat for 5 rounds to start, when you're comfortable with it, move to ten rounds and build up eventually to 10/15 minutes.
Contraindications. Don't practice if you have an ear infection and if you have heart disease, never retain the breath.
Benefits. Bumble bee breath relieves stress and tension in the head. It helps alleviate anger and anxiety and is good for insomnia and it can also reduce high blood pressure. It strengthens the voice and throat (great for singers!). It also speeds up the body's healing process if it's used for up to 30 mins at a time (especially after an operation).
Have fun, remember to keep it light, don't strain too much or try to make people in the next room hear you!
visit me at yogitobye.com
|< Prev||Next >|
6 ways to straighten out smartphone slump with yoga
6:02 (GMT) - 23.10.2014
As you cradle your smartphone or lean into your laptop to read this, what's your posture like? Even if you aren't doing it right now, how much of your day is spent with your neck lurched forward, shoulders slumped and chest collapsed? All that time in "smartphone slump" not only makes you look and feel stressed, it can cause persistent pain.
Lenovo’s Latest Hybrid Laptop Is Just as Bendy, But Packs a Super-Efficient Chip
6:01 (GMT) - 23.10.2014
The Yoga 3 Pro is one of the first laptops to offer Intel’s next-generation “Broadwell” CPU---it has a dual-core Intel Core M-70 system on a chip---which is designed to deliver Core i5-like performance with much lower power consumption. The post Lenovo’s Latest Hybrid Laptop Is Just as Bendy, But Packs a Super-Efficient Chip appeared first on WIRED .
Therapeutic yoga making inroads in mainstream medical care
23:55 (GMT) - 22.10.2014
Geri Topfer of Franklin Lakes and Penni Feiner of Hawthorne are bringing their Kula for Karma to patients in hospitals throughout the region
B.K.S. Iyengar Brought Life to Yoga
19:54 (GMT) - 22.10.2014
Indian yoga guru B.K.S. Iyengar died August 20, 2014 at the age of 95. He helped popularize yoga around the world as a teacher and author of 14 books on the subject. This is not another obituary but a simple look at his life with Yoga.
Yoga Gangsters help youngsters
16:14 (GMT) - 22.10.2014
Two recent Yoga Gangsters Challenge events raised more than $43,000 to fund free yoga sessions for at-risk children.
Yoga for kids brings stress-relief to preschool set
14:49 (GMT) - 22.10.2014
Toddlers tackle downward dog at the first National Kids Yoga Conference in Washington, D.C.
Yoga helps you find balance: Still your mind, connect to your inner self
12:20 (GMT) - 22.10.2014
This week, I want to talk about yoga. It's important to me as I look for ways to live my life at the fullest. That means not only career, success, and family, but it also means pushing the limits of my curiosity to go beyond an average existence to one that is nothing short of adventurous.
Yoga at Orlando Museum of Art?
11:13 (GMT) - 22.10.2014
Did you know that yoga is a quarterly event at the Orlando Museum of Art?
Yoga goes 'AntiGravity' in Lehigh Valley
22:00 (GMT) - 20.10.2014
Kristine McCreary is a Pennsylvania native, an entrepreneur and yoga lover. "In yoga they call it your bliss," said the owner of AntiGravity Yoga Lab, Kristine McCreary. "This is my bliss." But yoga wasn't always so central to her life. After suffering through six miscarriages, fertility experts suggested Kristine calm her nerves with yoga classes. Soon after, she welcomed her baby girl Kaden ...
Yoga on Tap ties together peaceful workouts, beer
9:18 (GMT) - 20.10.2014
The hugely popular weekly class is exposing both men and women to something they might have otherwise ignored (for entirely different reasons).
The Progeny of Burning Man
23:00 (GMT) - 24.09.2014
Transformational festivals emerge as a petri dish for art and culture in America.
- B. K. S. Iyengar, Who Helped Bring Yoga to the West, Dies at 95 23:00 (GMT) - 20.08.2014
What Is So Special About Iyengar Yoga?
17:12 (GMT) - 20.08.2014
This week the international yoga community said goodbye to B.K.S. Iyengar, a favorite teacher credited with bringing yoga to the Western world. One of his students, Carrie Owerko, a New York yoga teacher, talked about what makes Iyengar yoga so...
- I Tried to Work Out Like a Pro Wrestler and Failed 11:15 (GMT) - 19.08.2014
- The Rise of Beefcake Yoga 23:00 (GMT) - 16.08.2014
- Ask Well: Does Yoga Build Strength? 23:01 (GMT) - 7.08.2014
- Unplugging in the Unofficial Capital of Yoga 23:00 (GMT) - 21.06.2014
A Reporter Unplugs and Still Finds Connection
15:50 (GMT) - 19.06.2014
Mary Pilon, a sports reporter for The Times, spent three weeks in Russia covering the Olympics in Sochi earlier this year. After the games, she spent a vacation in Rishikesh, India, and wrote about it for the Travel section.
- Bending the Rules to Offer Yoga With a Beer Chaser 23:00 (GMT) - 11.06.2014
- Hilaria Baldwin Holds Her Center 23:00 (GMT) - 31.05.2014
- How to Tell When Stocks Will Outperform Bonds Again
- Auction-Style Online Property Listings: Bid-Buy-Sell-Lease
- Two Scenarios Right Now for Gold and Silver
- 5 Investing Myths to Ignore in 2014
- Why I Like this Sector for 2014
- No End in Sight to the Bull Market in Stocks
- The Biggest Stock Gains in 2014
- More Help From the Fed
- Stock Market Rally Watch
- A Danger Sign That Stock Investors Will Ignore
- US Stocks Near a Record High and Want to Rise Even Further
- The Three Reasons Oil Will Soar Again - After It Bottoms
- Is the Stock Market Rally About to End?
- Gold and commodities going down or up near term and in future?
- College Graduation Celebration Goes Bad!
- The importance of knowing your nose.
- Yoga and weight loss.
- Get bendy, stay safe!
- Yoga and the menopause.
- “Here and Now” with Yogi Tobye: Yoga for sensory issues
- Alternate nostril breathing.
- Resistance is futile.
- 'Here and Now' ~with Yogi Tobye: Embracing the present moment
- A hard day's yoga
- Ego a go.
- The middle way.
- Watch where you're going!
- "What?"... "I CAN - hear what you're saying..."
- A Valentines day message.
- Cholesterol - Criticized for Decades - Now a Nutritional Superhero?