The yogic term is Bhramari pranayama, sometimes called the humming bee breath.
Sit in a comfortable position with your spine lovely and straight (DO NOT LIE DOWN). Let your hands just relax into your lap, chin is parallel to the ground, mouth is closed, teeth are slightly open.Take a few normal deep breaths like this.
Now, you can either bring your hands to prayer position at the heart centre or, lifting your arms with your elbows out wide gently use the index finger to press on the little fleshy flaps of skin around the ear, so closing the ear. Take a long breath out and then a long relaxed breath in (DON'T STRAIN THE BREATH). Then on the outbreath, in a controlled manner, make a humming sound like a bumble bee. The humming needs to be soft and controlled, just gently vibrating the brain and forehead. Try to bring your attention to the Ajna Chakra (directly in the middle of the eybrows... the third eye). Exhale all the breath while humming... this is one round.
Repeat for 5 rounds to start, when you're comfortable with it, move to ten rounds and build up eventually to 10/15 minutes.
Contraindications. Don't practice if you have an ear infection and if you have heart disease, never retain the breath.
Benefits. Bumble bee breath relieves stress and tension in the head. It helps alleviate anger and anxiety and is good for insomnia and it can also reduce high blood pressure. It strengthens the voice and throat (great for singers!). It also speeds up the body's healing process if it's used for up to 30 mins at a time (especially after an operation).
Have fun, remember to keep it light, don't strain too much or try to make people in the next room hear you!
visit me at yogitobye.com
|< Prev||Next >|
Is yoga really about exercise?
18:24 (GMT) - 30.09.2014
Is yoga really about exercise or spirituality?
Yoga Loves Seniors
16:52 (GMT) - 30.09.2014
Learn how to reduce falls, increase mental clarity, have better balance, more flexibility, better posture and a more attractive body by practicing yoga. Learn how yoga can help to improve the energy level, keep a smile on your face longer, and make you look even better.
Yoga obsessed need not apply
16:01 (GMT) - 30.09.2014
Girls looking for a bit of time-out from their busy lives can find sanctuary in a womens-only retreat in Bali.
How Siri is this? A yoga mat that talks to you
11:57 (GMT) - 30.09.2014
You've always wanted an artificially intelligent yoga mat, haven't you? Here's SmartMat, a yoga mat with a nice Siri-like yoga teacher whispering "downward dogs" to you.
The big question about D.C.’s ‘yoga tax’: Should it apply to yoga?
5:00 (GMT) - 30.09.2014
The D.C. yoga community is arguing that D.C.'s sales tax extension, which goes into effect Wednesday, shouldn't apply to yoga studios. The tax is on facilities devoted to "physical exercise." And yoga, they say, is much more than that.
Matt Barnes, 20 pounds lighter, describes first yoga experience
17:43 (GMT) - 29.09.2014
Clippers forward Matt Barnes took some different steps in the offseason to get 100 percent healthy, something he wasn't all of last season. 'For me to drop 20 pounds and feel as strong as I've ever been and I'm still jumping as high as I ever have.'
New Lenovo Yoga tablets, PCs due out for holiday season
14:02 (GMT) - 29.09.2014
Lenovo plans on releasing new Yoga tablets and hybrids in time for the end-of-year holiday season, with actor and venture capitalist Ashton Kutcher having a hand in the design and development of the products.
New Lenovo Yoga tablets, PCs influenced by Ashton Kutcher
13:55 (GMT) - 29.09.2014
Lenovo plans on releasing new Yoga tablets and hybrids in time for the end-of-year holiday season, with actor and venture capitalist Ashton Kutcher having a hand in the design and development of the products. The “innovative and stylish” Yoga products “will become very popular presents for the holiday season,” said Yang Yuanqing, Lenovo’s CEO, during a call on Monday. Lenovo is holding an event ...
Yoga poses for flexibility
11:13 (GMT) - 29.09.2014
The inability to touch your toes is a common complaint -- and a popular excuse for avoiding yoga.
From Ashtanga to Vinyasa: Your A to Z Guide to Yoga Styles
6:33 (GMT) - 28.09.2014
Ashtanga, Kundalini, Iynegar, Vinyasa…. what? Is your yoga vocabulary limited to downward dog and child’s pose? Don’t kriya, we’ve got your back.
The Progeny of Burning Man
23:00 (GMT) - 24.09.2014
Transformational festivals emerge as a petri dish for art and culture in America.
- B. K. S. Iyengar, Who Helped Bring Yoga to the West, Dies at 95 23:00 (GMT) - 20.08.2014
What Is So Special About Iyengar Yoga?
17:12 (GMT) - 20.08.2014
This week the international yoga community said goodbye to B.K.S. Iyengar, a favorite teacher credited with bringing yoga to the Western world. One of his students, Carrie Owerko, a New York yoga teacher, talked about what makes Iyengar yoga so...
- I Tried to Work Out Like a Pro Wrestler and Failed 11:15 (GMT) - 19.08.2014
- The Rise of Beefcake Yoga 23:00 (GMT) - 16.08.2014
- Ask Well: Does Yoga Build Strength? 23:01 (GMT) - 7.08.2014
- Unplugging in the Unofficial Capital of Yoga 23:00 (GMT) - 21.06.2014
A Reporter Unplugs and Still Finds Connection
15:50 (GMT) - 19.06.2014
Mary Pilon, a sports reporter for The Times, spent three weeks in Russia covering the Olympics in Sochi earlier this year. After the games, she spent a vacation in Rishikesh, India, and wrote about it for the Travel section.
- Bending the Rules to Offer Yoga With a Beer Chaser 23:00 (GMT) - 11.06.2014
- Hilaria Baldwin Holds Her Center 23:00 (GMT) - 31.05.2014
- How to Tell When Stocks Will Outperform Bonds Again
- Auction-Style Online Property Listings: Bid-Buy-Sell-Lease
- Two Scenarios Right Now for Gold and Silver
- 5 Investing Myths to Ignore in 2014
- Why I Like this Sector for 2014
- No End in Sight to the Bull Market in Stocks
- The Biggest Stock Gains in 2014
- More Help From the Fed
- Stock Market Rally Watch
- A Danger Sign That Stock Investors Will Ignore
- US Stocks Near a Record High and Want to Rise Even Further
- The Three Reasons Oil Will Soar Again - After It Bottoms
- Is the Stock Market Rally About to End?
- Gold and commodities going down or up near term and in future?
- College Graduation Celebration Goes Bad!
- The importance of knowing your nose.
- Yoga and weight loss.
- Get bendy, stay safe!
- Yoga and the menopause.
- “Here and Now” with Yogi Tobye: Yoga for sensory issues
- Alternate nostril breathing.
- Resistance is futile.
- 'Here and Now' ~with Yogi Tobye: Embracing the present moment
- A hard day's yoga
- Ego a go.
- The middle way.
- Watch where you're going!
- "What?"... "I CAN - hear what you're saying..."
- A Valentines day message.
- Cholesterol - Criticized for Decades - Now a Nutritional Superhero?