The yogic term is Bhramari pranayama, sometimes called the humming bee breath.
Sit in a comfortable position with your spine lovely and straight (DO NOT LIE DOWN). Let your hands just relax into your lap, chin is parallel to the ground, mouth is closed, teeth are slightly open.Take a few normal deep breaths like this.
Now, you can either bring your hands to prayer position at the heart centre or, lifting your arms with your elbows out wide gently use the index finger to press on the little fleshy flaps of skin around the ear, so closing the ear. Take a long breath out and then a long relaxed breath in (DON'T STRAIN THE BREATH). Then on the outbreath, in a controlled manner, make a humming sound like a bumble bee. The humming needs to be soft and controlled, just gently vibrating the brain and forehead. Try to bring your attention to the Ajna Chakra (directly in the middle of the eybrows... the third eye). Exhale all the breath while humming... this is one round.
Repeat for 5 rounds to start, when you're comfortable with it, move to ten rounds and build up eventually to 10/15 minutes.
Contraindications. Don't practice if you have an ear infection and if you have heart disease, never retain the breath.
Benefits. Bumble bee breath relieves stress and tension in the head. It helps alleviate anger and anxiety and is good for insomnia and it can also reduce high blood pressure. It strengthens the voice and throat (great for singers!). It also speeds up the body's healing process if it's used for up to 30 mins at a time (especially after an operation).
Have fun, remember to keep it light, don't strain too much or try to make people in the next room hear you!
visit me at yogitobye.com
|< Prev||Next >|
Yoga mat stretches international interest
17:39 (GMT) - 22.11.2014
LADY Gaga has two and RJ Mitte of Breaking Bad has one.
Yoga Pro 3 review: Broadwell is a mixed blessing
10:12 (GMT) - 22.11.2014
The design is ever more exotic, but the performance is worse.
India eyes profit in yoga's soft power
1:52 (GMT) - 22.11.2014
The business potential of the globally popular ancient practice makes the newly created ministry easier to justify.
Who Owns Yoga?
1:34 (GMT) - 21.11.2014
We explore the impact of our modern obsession with one of the world's oldest physical and spiritual practices.
At 13, an 'Old Soul' Has Yoga Devotees
21:26 (GMT) - 20.11.2014
On a sunny Saturday morning on Catalina Island, a group of students planted their feet on the pebbled beach and unfurled their yoga mats. Jaysea DeVoe, their 80-pound instructor, stood before them, cl...
Naked, rave and 'voga': Have we stretched the meaning of yoga too far?
8:16 (GMT) - 20.11.2014
Yoga has become a 21st century global phenomenon. But with branches including 'broga' and 'rave', have we lost its meaning and turned it into a capitalist gimmick? Bhanu Bhatnagar explains all
- Meet Jaysea DeVoe, One of the Youngest Yoga Teachers in the United States 23:00 (GMT) - 19.11.2014
Curb klutziness with these yoga poses
16:58 (GMT) - 17.11.2014
Do you trip over your own feet? Bump into things? Break nails and jam fingers by overreaching?
7 Ways Yoga Can Help You Age With Grace
8:54 (GMT) - 11.11.2014
There is no avoiding aging -- it's one thing that's certain. Yet, out of fear of the inevitable, we often neglect to take logical steps to prepare for the future.
CorePower Yoga Offers Introductory Yoga Membership Rate for Henderson Studio Opening, Dallas
12:43 (GMT) - 10.11.2014
CorePower Yoga, America's largest yoga brand is celebrating the opening of their Henderson Studio with an invitation to become a Founding Black Tag Member.CorePower Yoga Henderson will offer a variety ...
How Yoga Helps to Keep Your Brain Healthy
6:29 (GMT) - 9.11.2014
Those sun salutations are good for more than a strong core and flexibility. They may give you a sunny disposition, too
The Progeny of Burning Man
23:00 (GMT) - 24.09.2014
Transformational festivals emerge as a petri dish for art and culture in America.
- B. K. S. Iyengar, Who Helped Bring Yoga to the West, Dies at 95 23:00 (GMT) - 20.08.2014
What Is So Special About Iyengar Yoga?
17:12 (GMT) - 20.08.2014
This week the international yoga community said goodbye to B.K.S. Iyengar, a favorite teacher credited with bringing yoga to the Western world. One of his students, Carrie Owerko, a New York yoga teacher, talked about what makes Iyengar yoga so...
- I Tried to Work Out Like a Pro Wrestler and Failed 11:15 (GMT) - 19.08.2014
- The Rise of Beefcake Yoga 23:00 (GMT) - 16.08.2014
- Ask Well: Does Yoga Build Strength? 23:01 (GMT) - 7.08.2014
- Unplugging in the Unofficial Capital of Yoga 23:00 (GMT) - 21.06.2014
A Reporter Unplugs and Still Finds Connection
15:50 (GMT) - 19.06.2014
Mary Pilon, a sports reporter for The Times, spent three weeks in Russia covering the Olympics in Sochi earlier this year. After the games, she spent a vacation in Rishikesh, India, and wrote about it for the Travel section.
- Bending the Rules to Offer Yoga With a Beer Chaser 23:00 (GMT) - 11.06.2014
- How to Tell When Stocks Will Outperform Bonds Again
- Auction-Style Online Property Listings: Bid-Buy-Sell-Lease
- Two Scenarios Right Now for Gold and Silver
- 5 Investing Myths to Ignore in 2014
- Why I Like this Sector for 2014
- No End in Sight to the Bull Market in Stocks
- The Biggest Stock Gains in 2014
- More Help From the Fed
- Stock Market Rally Watch
- A Danger Sign That Stock Investors Will Ignore
- US Stocks Near a Record High and Want to Rise Even Further
- The Three Reasons Oil Will Soar Again - After It Bottoms
- Is the Stock Market Rally About to End?
- Gold and commodities going down or up near term and in future?
- College Graduation Celebration Goes Bad!
- The importance of knowing your nose.
- Yoga and weight loss.
- Get bendy, stay safe!
- Yoga and the menopause.
- “Here and Now” with Yogi Tobye: Yoga for sensory issues
- Alternate nostril breathing.
- Resistance is futile.
- 'Here and Now' ~with Yogi Tobye: Embracing the present moment
- A hard day's yoga
- Ego a go.
- The middle way.
- Watch where you're going!
- "What?"... "I CAN - hear what you're saying..."
- A Valentines day message.
- Cholesterol - Criticized for Decades - Now a Nutritional Superhero?